skip to Main Content
What Is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

What is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

Personal Independence Payment or PIP (The Complete Guide) PART 1

Personal Independence Payment or PIP, is a disability benefit paid to UK people who are 16 to 64 years old, to aid with any additional costs due to having a long-term disability or health condition. It has replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16 and over.


If your day to day life is affected by your mental or physical condition, you might be eligible for PIP. You must be aged 16 or over, have been born after 8 April 1948 and have a long-term disability or health condition, and need help or support with daily living, or with mobility, or both. You must have needed this help or support for at least 3 months, and expect to need this for at least another 9 months in the future.

Regardless of whether you are qualified for Personal Independence Payment or PIP relies upon how your wellbeing condition influences you (not on what your condition is). So your qualification doesn’t depend on a conclusion of Seizures, however on how your Seizures influences your day by day living and portability. This incorporates how it influences you physically, and any impacts it has on your reasoning, understanding and having the option to adapt to everyday life. It incorporates any assistance you need, regardless of whether you at present get that help. 


The mental and physical things may include the following.

• Speaking to other people

• Shopping and paying bills

• Planning and following journeys

• Preparing food and eating

• Washing and bathing

Two parts

Personal Independence Payment or PIP is made of two parts:

  1. Daily Living Component
  2. Mobility Component

Each component is paid at either a ‘standard’ or an ‘enhanced’ rate. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) utilize a framework to check whether you can get the parts at the standard or enhanced rate. They award you points if you cannot do certain activities.

If you have daily living needs, you may qualify for the daily living component.  There are two rates:

  • Standard £58.70 per week
  • Enhanced £87.65 per week

You get the standard rate on the off chance that you score somewhere in the range of eight and 11 points for your day by day living needs in the PIP test. You get the upgraded rate in the event that you score 12 points or more.

You automatically qualify for the enhanced rate of the daily living component if you are terminally ill.

Daily living activities

• Preparing food

• Taking in food or drink

• Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition

• Washing and bathing

• Managing toilet needs or incontinence

• Dressing and undressing

• Communicating by talking

• Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words

• Being in face-to-face contact with other people

• Managing your money and budget


On the other hand, if you have mobility needs, you may qualify for the mobility component. There are two rates:

  • Standard £23.20 per week
  • Enhanced £61.20 per week

You get the standard rate if you score between eight and 11 points for your mobility needs in the PIP test. You get the enhanced rate if you score 12 points or more.

Mobility activities

• Planning and following journeys

• Moving around

In the event that you are granted Personal Independence Payment, it is regularly paid for a fixed timeframe. You can be given short term fixed award of 9 months to 2 years. Or a longer term fixed award. If you are given a short-term fixed award your PIP claim will end at the end of the term. But you can re-apply for PIP if you still have a health problem.


All Personal Independence Payments, are directly paid into your bank account, every 4 weeks.

Terminal illness

You’ll get the higher daily living part if you’re not expected to live more than 6 months. The rate of the mobility part depends on your needs.

Claiming PIP

How to apply?

Most people who apply for PIP need to do so by calling the DWP on 0800 917 2222 (textphone 0800 917 7777).

You can ask for a paper form to complete if you are unable to claim by phone, although this may delay your claim. Someone else can call the DWP for you, but you will need to be with this person when they call so that the DWP can check that you have permitted them to call on your behalf.

Your telephone call should not take very long if you have the following information ready. The person on the phone may ask for the following things:

• Your name

• Your contact details

• Your address and post code

• Your date of birth

• Your national insurance number

• Your nationality

• Your bank details

• A daytime contact number

• Your main health care professional’s contact details. This may be your GP or your care coordinator if you have one

• Details of any recent stays in hospital, care home or hospice

• Details of any overseas benefits that you are claiming

• Details of your work if you are working or paying insurance to another country.

Claim by post

You can get a form to send information by post (although this can delay the decision on your claim). Write a letter to ask for the form.

Personal Independence Payment New Claims
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AH

What happens next?

If you are eligible to apply for PIP you will be sent a form to complete called ‘How your disability affects you’.
If you are not eligible for PIP, the DWP will write to you to tell you that you do not meet the criteria, and cannot apply, for PIP. This is called a ‘disallowance letter’. If you have been getting DLA, this will stop.




NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 917 2222
Video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users – check you can use the service


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top